Every day as we communicate, we learn a lot of things, discover new ideas and get drawn even closer to the people we interact with. These are some of the best things about being able to communicate. Communication is good and convenient – that is, until we find ourselves saying negative things about others that aren’t our business. This kind of act, as you may know, is called gossiping. According to the Merriam Webster Dictionary, to gossip means to talk about the personal lives of other people.
Here are 5 reasons why you should not gossip:
- You’ll be known as a gossipmonger (yikes!). As a person who has dignity and reputation, you sure do not want to be labelled as a gossipmonger. A gossipmonger is someone who habitually spreads gossip and rumors. If people know you as someone with that kind of reputation, people will eventually lose trust and faith in you. Plus, it really looks unprofessional.
- You’ll be spreading negative vibes. Optimistic people that I know personally get really annoyed when there are negative posts and comments in their news feed. What good is it to spread negative vibes anyway? Give people the decency to enjoy their day — life.
- You will find yourself in trouble sooner or later. A gossip may only be a gossip but once it spreads, boy, it spreads like fire in a forest. Eventually, you will find yourself in trouble. Imagine the embarrassment and adversity you have to go through (like legal issues). What a total waste of time and effort.
- You will hurt someone. Imagine if people start gossiping about your personal life or start talking behind your back? Won’t it hurt? Of course it will. You’re human and you have complicated emotions. Just imagine yourself in the shoes of the person you are gossiping about. Wouldn’t it be sad?
- You lose focus on the more important things and on your own personal life. When gossiping, we submerge ourselves in the lives of other people and we tend to forget our own. We tend to set aside our priorities, our goals in life, our dreams, and ourselves. Imagine the time you have wasted talking about other people when you should have been investing on yourself and your own betterment.
Don’t be a gossipmonger! Live life with a positive outlook and invest on yourself.