I used to think that I can only gain respect from others if I will do well in life. But, there was a time where, despite my hard work and efforts for other people, I still wasn’t able to receive the respect that I wanted. Some of the people I considered friends for a long time didn’t take me seriously, and others treated me like a doormat. It reached a point where I even lost respect for myself.
As time passed, through the different challenges I faced, I learned a lot about respect. Looking back, I feel fortunate that I have experienced those trials for they changed my perspective about what really matters. Let me share those lessons with you:
- Don’t let your emotions take over you. Strive to stay calm in any situation. Think before you speak and act, this way, you can avoid saying or doing things that can cause others to lose their respect for you.
- Keep your word. Don’t make a promise you can’t keep. If you can’t be trusted with what you say or what you claim you can do, you can’t expect others to respect you.
- Avoid gossiping. If a person can gossip about someone with you, chances are he or she can talk to others too about you behind your back. People who are known to gossip are less likely to be respected.
- It’s okay to be kind. Just don’t compromise yourself and your values in the process. How can others respect you if you let your kindness be abused? If somebody asks you to do something that is not aligned with your principles and what you value, don’t be afraid to say no.
- Stay humble at all times. You’re not above anybody, and that’s the truth you should always keep in mind. The world never revolves just around you.
- Treat yourself right. Don’t do anything that violates your mind and body.
- Learn how to listen in order to understand. Most people have difficulty respecting a person who opens his or her mouth without thinking ahead.
- Show respect towards everyone. Focus on is your attitude towards others; being disrespected doesn’t mean all the time that you can treat others back with disrespect too.
- Don’t be a know-it-all and don’t get caught up in your own lies. Speak the truth.
- Be understanding. All of us have imperfections. We have different beliefs and perceptions about life. What you see as true may not be the same for others. Keep your mind open, so that you can avoid conflicts with others. Respect begets respect. How can you expect others to respect you when you’re not giving it to them in the first place?
These are some of the lessons I learned about respect and how to gain it. How about you? Can you add more to this list?