How do you define success? If you look up its meaning in the dictionary, it is defined as “attainment of popularity or prosperity”.
However, only you can define what true success means. No one can impose on you what it really is – not your loved ones, family, friends, and even me. It is way beyond prominence or affluence, societal standards, and what’s written in the dictionary. You need to understand that each person has a unique perspective of being successful in life.
There’s no one-size-fits-all definition for success, but here are some of my own tips to help you lead a more successful life:
- Know what real success means for you. One of the most important ways to succeed in life is to have a clear definition of what success is for you. Ask yourself what your goals are in life, what you want to attain, and what gives you real happiness. When you have a clear picture of what these are it would be easier for you to start working on becoming successful.
- Act on achieving your dreams and goals. If you simply sit down and wait for things to happen, nothing good will come out of it. This is not to say that God will not bless you. Of course, He will. However, you need to also work and persevere. No one or nothing can stop you from being successful but yourself.
- Don’t rush. Success is not attained overnight. It would help to set your priorities and break down tasks as you work on your goals. Set a deadline for each, regardless if it’s a short-term or long-term goal. If you need more time on a particular task, you can always adjust your timetable. What’s important is you are accomplishing something on a daily basis.
- Don’t be afraid to fail. There are no shortcuts to the things you want in life. Don’t forget that with hard work, comes lessons that could be helpful and useful to you .The mistakes you will incur will make you stronger, so press on.
- Don’t work hard, work smart. Manage your time properly and learn to set your priorities. If you don’t, you will tend to be overwhelmed and end up being paralyzed with the tasks you need to do. You also need to consider your own well-being. If there’s a time for work, there should also be a time for play. So give yourself room for enjoyment, relaxation, and spending time with your loved ones.
- Accept the fact that success is a lot like love. Perseverance is one of the keys to success, but if something is not right for you, learn when to stop and let go. It could be because that it’s not yet time for you to reach a particular goal, or it could be fate’s way of leading you towards a more suitable path.
- Stay positive about life. Don’t let negative thoughts and emotions coming from other people and bad experiences consume you. It’s normal to feel hurt, angry, sad, or scared, but you shouldn’t let them dwell in your system for long. Remember, “Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.”
- Don’t do everything on your own. Asking help is not a sign of weakness, but a manifestation of true courage. If you can’t handle a particular task on your own, ask help from others. Otherwise, pause, take a break, and rest until you regain the strength you need to carry on.
- Above all, don’t forget your relationship with God. A great spiritual foundation helps in your journey to success, and you can have that through Him. Talk to Him everyday and ask for guidance. At the same time, don’t forget to thank Him for the blessings you receive. Doing so will constantly remind you to stay humble and grounded at all times.
Always remember that success is not equivalent to money or fame. You may think that people who are wealthy or well-known are happy, but despite what they have, they can still be unhappy and depressed. This is because a lot of them still face conflicts and even scandals.
Our journey to success, our hardwork, and dedication to our goals and what we become in the process are far more important than what we attain. Let us not follow the footsteps of people who set aside their moral values in exchange of “success” and instead, define what success really means, and live it out.