It’s been a long tiring day. I had to deal with a variety of difficult people, my work load was heavy and my lunch break went way too fast, and now there’s too much traffic getting home which will probably take several hours! Grabe!!!
It’s funny how depressed I feel just writing those words down, and it’s probably because words have so much power. How we think, the perspective we choose, and what we say has a huge impact on our lives, how we feel, how we act and the choices we make.
How many of you know the quote below:
“Keep your thoughts positive because your thoughts become your words. Keep your words positive because your words become your behaviour. Keep your behaviour positive because your behaviour becomes you habits. Keep your habits positive because you habits become your values. Keep your values positive because your values become your destiny.”
This quote is exactly the reason why we must focus on the positive, and it’s not just a matter of ‘trying’ but DOING. How many of us know that if we leave exercising as an ‘option’, it will most likely never happen? Well that’s certainly the case for me and many people I know, yet if we decide it’s what we want in our lives, set goals and make the decision to DO instead of TRY, then with some gentle reminders to ourselves (phone alarms if we need), this can become our lifestyle.
Let’s take the above days’ event as an example and change the perspective on it from a negative into a positive one:
It’s been a long day and I’m a bit tired, but so blessed I have the health and energy to tackle the day as well as the time and hours that fill the day and bless me with a longer life. I’m also happy that I was able to learn new things even through my challenges as they make me stronger and wiser. It’s very interesting dealing with difficult people, as I enjoy trying to lift their spirits as they probably had a bad day too and have a harder time managing their feelings than me, and it just feels so good to help make someone that was angry or sad, smile. I’m blessed to have a lot of work which I can learn from and which helps me improve my skills, and I really enjoyed my lunch break and the time to rest and re-charge for the rest of the day. There might be traffic going home, but I can use the time to plan my next day, talk to friends, pray, meet new people, or just enjoy the scenery on the way home.
You see how much more there is to be grateful for compared to how quick and easy it is too complain? I feel so much better writing that last description of the day, as writing it actually picked up my spirits even more. It’s amazing how positive thoughts and energy just breed more positive thoughts and energy.
Writing down your blessings in the day is another great and positive habit to get used to with many benefits, such as…
- It’s reminds us of all the things we have to be positive about, and makes us feel even better while writing them.
- We get to document our favourite memories and look back on them in the future when we need happy reminders or just want to go through our treasured memories.
- It’s a good disciplinary activity to get us used to healthy habits daily.
- Every time we commit to being positive, it’s strengthens our ability to naturally be positive on a daily basis.
- We can go back to our list of blessings to share with our friends when they too might need some encouragement.
If we train ourselves to be consistently positive, we will get much further in all areas of our lives. Here are some examples how being positive will help us..
- We will be a better influence to our friends and much better company to them.
- We will be a joy to work with, in our working environment and be much better at customer service.
- People notice a positive attitude and eventually we are rewarded for this whether with words of appreciation, or even promotion.
- Thinking, speaking and acting positively makes our day feel much lighter, and our day passing by with ease rather than feeling like a heavy load.
- When we think positively we are not so fast to criticize other people behaviour and quicker to want to help and encourage rather than put people down.
- When we are positive we make situations better rather than making the situation worse.
I hope this article has been a positive reminder for everyone to get their thinking back on track to consistently thinking positively. As soon as we start thinking negatively then those negative thoughts breed even more negative thoughts the same way positive thoughts would breed more positive ones, and instead of being on the positive train, we are heading back to where we came from in the wrong direction on the negative train, and have to start our journey all over again. Keep friends of good energy and good influence around you whenever you can, as this has a big impact on how we feel and the choices we make. Then simply remember how blessed we are to be where we are right now in our lives, because as long as we make the most out of our day and try our best while following God’s Will for our lives, then we have everything we need in our lives at that time being exactly where God wants us, and that’s definitely something to feel positive about!
Philippians 4:8: Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.